Find Ron Kirk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Searcher Safety tips

Go down

Searcher Safety tips Empty Searcher Safety tips

Post  Jim B Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi folks, I just wanted to help you all be safe when out searching for Ron.

Your safety is just as important as finding Ron.

Please feel free to comment, add, or dispute anything said here as long as it's all for the better .

Ok, I'll start it.

Preferably don't hike alone. If you do PLEASE let someone know where you are going and when to call for help if you don't check back in at a certain time.

Second, carry a radio ( possibly 2 as a back up) with spare batteries. The cell phones dont' always work or get a signal up there.
If you get stuck somewhere that radio that you think is weighing you down could be your lifesaver. So treat it with respect !
Also in my personal experience I never hear them when I'm monitoring if they are in my pocket do to the gravel noise under my feet.
I would suggest you have one on up by the top of your back pack so if you hear a cry for help since you are in line of sight of that radio signal you may be the first respond.
Channel 1 is a recommended channel for Calico basin. Think of it as a 911 channel and despite other chater on there if you state Calico help, Calico help, Calico help,(wait) before you even start telling what is going on, might be all that is heard and people monitoring it can call for proper help. ( I'm sure Dave C. could give some advice here when he has time.)

If your gonna go scrambling , don't do it alone ! Just like in scuba diving you need a partner .
You definately need one in this situation.
If you fall in and can't get out, it's your safety partner that is gonna work on a way to get you rescued out.

>>> Carry a roll of that flourescent construction marking tape. If your partner or you get hurt and one needs to go back for help because the radio I ( channel 1 ) is not beign recieved, you will need to visually mark the area so that upon return with rescuers you can find your location more easily. So buy one and put in your bag . give them as present to your fellow hikers.
& Use the whole roll if you have to make a bigger target. (This can work with and without a GPS )

>>> Obviously always carry water or a hydrating liquid .

Please now feel free to add to this list. Cool

SEARCHER SAFETY IS PRIORITY, DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN HARMS WAY.

Jim B

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum